We live in a world of unrest and turmoil. On the international scene, the Middle East remains a powder keg waiting for the next match. Domestically, our national politics are as divided as they have ever been. Socially, school shootings, drugs, and gangs are regular headline news. Nationally, the suicide rate is increasing. In this world of chaos Jesus offers us His peace. “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give unto you” (John 14:27). How do we apply Jesus’ remedy of peace in a troubled world? In the last chapter of Philippians Paul gave us a road map to experiencing real joy by deepening your peace in Christ.
There are five pathways to a deep, abiding peace found in verses 2-9.
- Peace is deepened when unity rules, vv. 2-3.
- Peace is deepened when joy reigns, 4:4.
- Peace is deepened when graciousness resounds , 4:5.
- Peace is deepened when prayer rises, vv. 6-7.
- Peace is deepened when virtue regulates, vv. 8-9.
The old bumper sticker had it right when it read, “No Jesus, No Peace; Know Jesus, Know Peace.”