John constructed his gospel under the inspiration of the Spirit around seven “signs” or miracles. The miracle in chapter 11 is the last and most significant. Jesus demonstrated His power over death. In doing so He verified the truth that He had expressed earlier, “I am the resurrection and the life. . .” (11:25). Jesus’ gracious gift of life to Lazarus and his sisters also became a moment of truth for the Jewish leaders.
• The Power of Jesus, vv. 38-44
Four actions of Jesus combined to make this His crowning miracle:
- Jesus cares
- Jesus commands
- Jesus calls
- Jesus conquers
• The Plotting of Man, vv. 45-57
Conclusion: Ponder deeply these five questions:
1. What truths have you been resisting?
2. What voice have you been silencing or keeping at a distance to avoid hearing what you instinctively know to be true?
3. How has the Lord confronted you lately?
4. Have you drowned out your conscience with activity, work, relationships, or some other escape?
5. Do you ignore the inner voice of reason warning you to stop some behavior you know to be wrong?